Monday, January 30, 2012

Going Hungry

The rain hits the top of the car in a rhythmic pattern like the sound of war drums. He reclines the seat and closes his eyes. His mind races with the days events. The last year has been a whirlwind of mistakes. Lawsuits fill the air and tonight he sleeps in his car, no money for a hotel.  

Jim is the CEO of a major manufacturing company. This is not his first business. So why is it failing? Economics would tell you the economy is bad. Business guru's would say poor business decisions. I think he took his eye off the prize. You see, we all make bad decisions in life. We are all going through tough economic times. So why is this man failing where others succeed? We have to look at what we serve and the hand that feeds.

I once had to dog sit for a neighbor when I was young. The rules were simple, feed and water the dog daily. I would go over before school and after school, fire up the hose and fill the water bowl. Then I would get the giant back of dog food open and scoop some into Bears bowl. Bear was a big Chow/ German Shepard mix. I didn't really trust that dog, but he was always happy to see me, well almost always. One day, I filled his water dish and bend over to fill his food bowl and he snapped at me. His large white teeth ran down the side of my face like a straight razor. If I had a beard at he age of 10, he would have had half of it in his mouth. I quickly sprung back and landed in the crab crawl position back pedaling as fast as possible. He didn't stop and lunged at me again. Lucky for me he was on a thick chain, tied to a post 3' in the ground. Stunned and scared I hurried home. I didn't tell anyone about what happen, but I didn't feed Bear for two days either. You see, Bear didn't think about what he was doing. Maybe he was having a bad day, or just missed his family. Or maybe he was just a jerk (most likely answer). Either way, he bit at the hand that fed and the food stopped coming. 

Jim is no different. When things got good, when things were great, he lost sight of where the food was coming from. He forgot who provided for him and he took his eye off what was important. He stopped obeying and tried to write his own rules. Much like Bear, Jim thought he could have his way and still get paid. It doesn't work like that. Sure, there are many successful non-believers out there. They never served God, so their money and success doesn't come from Him. It's when you know God, and your successes are great that you must remember: "A man can only serve one master." We all have masters. Something in our lives that takes precedence over all other things. Money, Sex, Drugs, Family, Success, and the list goes on. One thing in your life takes that role. What is it? Is it God? Is it Jesus? Or is it money, fame, lust, or greed? Out of all those things mentioned, which do you believe has the greatest long term potential? 

We all struggle to find inner peace, joy, and contentment."Money can't by happiness". You know who said that? Me either. Obviously a very wealthy person. How else would they know? 

~Caleb


No comments:

Post a Comment